The Official Web Site of The City of Lake Helen, Florida - Historical Narrative with Photos
Home   Public Information   City Clerk   Our History   Community Directory

Harlan Hotel

Lake Helen became incorporated in the summer of 1888. The village was the brain-child of Henry DeLand, and he named his new village, Lake Helen after his daughter.

Lake Helen was originally a winter retreat for northeasterners and with the addition of two hotels, the Harlan Hotel (after his son and pictured right), and a little later the Granville Hotel, became a destination spot for New Englanders anxious to retreat from the harsh winters.

Lake Helen flourished. Citrus groves were planted and thrived, a sawmill and the Bond Brick Company were established. It was an arduous journey early on by steamer and horse or mule wagon from the St. Johns River, but it 1887 the railroad came to Lake Helen.

Lake Helen grew quickly, with many new homes being built each season, of the local southern yellow pine. Many of them still stand today as a tribute to the craftsmanship of the times. This was the "Boom Time" for Lake Helen.

Sadly the winter of 1894-1895 brought the "big freeze". Most of the citrus trees were destroyed and many families lost everything. Many people left and some replanted but it was never the same.

Florida East Coast Railway Depot

Lake Helen carried on into the 20's and 30's but time seemed to "pass her by". Because she remained undiscovered she continued to be a quaint little community off the beaten path, with tree-lined streets and a slow pace that is ever so inviting.

It is a place to walk or ride your bike on lazy sun dappled lanes. Stop a few minutes and chat with your neighbors. You'll always get a friendly wave and a smile.


Historical Photo Gallery

Atlantic and Western Railroad Company train at the depot
Junior High School building
Edgewood House - 1968
Group Assembled by the Harlan Hotel
Congregational Church Building - 1919
Florida East Coast Railway Depot - 1919
Map of Lake Helen in Volusia County - 1888
Group Portrait
Group posed in front of the Harlan Hotel - Between 1884 and 1923
Baptist Church -1910
Lakeview Avenue Home
Home in Lake Helen
Wooden Cabin - 1913
Camp Cassadaga at Lake Helen - 1908
E.W. Bond Lumber Company Train - 1934
Dr. F.E. Baker's home - 1896
Bond's mill at Lake Helen
Porch of a Harlan Hotel
Carriage with cows and calf in tow-1913
Lakefront Houses
Lakefront Houses
Minerva Bond's birthday party - 1906
Harlan Hotel
View from lake of Harlan Hotel and boathouse
Lake Scene - 1930
View toward lake with boathouse in distance
View of fenced yard with lake in background
View of lake - Photo Negative
Hauling logs with mule-drawn high wheeler
E.W. Bond Company Sawmill
Saw Mill Photo Negative
E.W. Bond Company building at Lake Helen
Entrance Camp Cassadaga
Big longleaf pine Circumference 8.9 feet, diameter 2.82 feet.

Present Day Historical Photo Gallery

160 South Euclid Avenue
186 South Euclid Avenue
316 North Lakeview Avenue
Blake Memorial - 134 North Euclid Avenue
Bungalow
Edgewood
View of Lake Helen
Mount Olive AME Church

City of Lake Helen
ph: (386) 228-2121
P.O. Box 39
Lake Helen, FL 32744